If you need a protein fix, you need this fish curry… today. It delivers a triple whammy protein punch from the white fish, red lentils and vibrant green peas. So this would be your perfect post workout dinner.
The lentils are a really great way of thickening a sauce. I often use frozen fish in a coconut curry and the sauce inevitably ends up a bit too ‘liquidy’. The addition of red lentils sorts out that problem and adds more nutritious goodness to your meal.
If you don’t have curry paste handy then just use a tablespoon of top notch curry powder. I just happened to have green curry paste in the fridge but use whatever you have to hand.
Protein Packed Coconut Cod & Lentil Curry
- A bunch of spring onions, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely grated or minced
- 3cm fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons curry paste
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons red lentils
- 400ml chicken stock
- 4 cod fillets
- A couple of big handfuls of chopped spinach
- A couple of handfuls of peas
- 250g basmati rice
- Juice of half a lime
- Before you do anything, soak your rice in cold water and leave it until the sauce is merrily bubbling away.
- Scoop a tablespoon of the solid coconut from the tin of coconut milk and melt in a large pan. Add the spring onions, garlic and ginger and stir fry for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the curry paste, then pour over the chicken stock, the rest of the coconut milk and the lentils. Simmer gently for about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the cod to the pan and bring back to a simmer then add the peas and cook for another 5-7 minutes or until the fish is cooked through. I like to break the fish up a little but big chunks are fabulous in this dish.
- Meanwhile, rinse your rice well and cook until perfectly fluffy.
- Just before you’re ready to serve, add the spinach and allow to wilt. As a final flourish, spritz over the lime juice and if you’re in the mood for a cheeky spice hit, add some finely sliced chilli.