You can’t say “mint Oreo brownies” without saying “mmmm”. Nor would you want to, as these are mmmmarvellous.
As if a chocolate brownie wasn’t gorgeous enough, adding the Oreos brings new, and welcome, texture to this chocolatey party.
This recipe is egg free. For the simple reason that I was fresh out of eggs. Undeterred, I substituted 4 eggs with 4 tablespoons of thick Greek style yoghurt. The resulting brownies were as smooth, rich and gooey as ever so I share it now with you.
Mmmmint Oreo Brownies
- 150g butter
- 300g soft brown sugar
- 75g cocoa powder
- 150g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 4 tablespoons Greek style yoghurt (or 4 beaten eggs if you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 120g milk chocolate, chopped
- About 8 mint Oreos, broken up a bit
- First, preheat your oven to 180C and line a square tin with foil (my tin is 20cm square).
- In a pan which can hold all of the ingredients, melt your butter over a gentle heat. Then stir in the sugar.
- Next add the flour, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda and roughly mix. Take off the heat.
- Now plop in the yoghurt and mint extract and stir again.
- Stir in the chocolate chunks and pour your unctuous mixture into the waiting tin.
- Scatter over those broken Oreos and press them down very slightly.
- Pop in the oven to bake for 25 minutes. It’s worth having a check at 20 minutes as you don’t want to over cook and miss out on that gooey loveliness. When ready, the brownie will look set on top but will still have a wobble underneath.
- Once cooked, take out of the oven and cool on a wire rack, still in the baking tin.