I love chickpeas roasted in the oven. They’re a lovely little snack. They also add a stunning crunch atop a bowl of simple homemade soup. Now I can attest to spiced roasted chickpeas to be the most delicious filling for a tortilla wrap. Just add a bit of crunchy veg and you’re good to go. Wrap them tightly and take them on a picnic or make this at home when the chickpeas are just out of the oven and still warm.
Another thing I’m rather partial to is garlic. So I made a really simple garlic yoghurt spread for this. You can spread what you like on your tortilla: mayo, cream cheese, aoili, chilli sauce or, for a double chickpea whammy, try hummus.
Veg-wise, I enjoyed this with grated carrot and rocket. Use whatever you have in the fridge. Cherry tomatoes, cucumber, beetroot, spinach… the choices are endless.
Feeling cheesy? You could also add feta, goats cheese, grilled halloumi or even mozzarella. My son had a simple scattering of grated cheddar to finish his off very nicely.
If you have the time and inclination you could roll this, squash down slightly and then grill or heat in a hot dry pan to get an extra layer of crispiness.
Spiced Roasted Chickpea & Veggie Wraps
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon each of cumin, coriander and turmeric
- A teaspoon of oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 wholemeal tortilla wraps
- 4 tablespoons of full fat Greek yoghurt
- 1/2 garlic clove, minced
- A few chives, chopped (optional)
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 4 handfuls of rocket
- Cheese of any kind you fancy (very much optional)
- First thing’s first, get those chickpeas in the oven: preheat your oven to 180C / gas 4. Mix together the chickpeas, spices, a teeny bit of salt and pepper and the teaspoon of oil and lay out on a baking sheet. Roast in the oven for about 30 minutes or until they are crisp at the edges.
- Next get the the garlic yoghurt spread sorted (if you’re not using this just skip to the next step). Simply mix together the yoghurt, garlic and the chives, if using. Sprinkle in a small pinch of salt and pepper.
- Now lay out your tortillas and spread with your garlic yoghurt or whatever spread you’re going for today.
- Scatter over the chickpeas then the rest of the ingredients.
- Fold and munch, maybe dipping and scooping up any leftover garlicky yoghurt if the fancy takes you.