I was in the supermarket the other day and a bag of frozen pineapple was winking at me. I just had to pop in my shopping basket, oh the delicious times we would have together. The reality was that once it was back at home in the depths my freezer I couldn’t really decide what I wanted to do with it.
I’m starting to think that the best recipes are accidental, not at all planned or thought through. Or perhaps that’s just me.
This smoothie is a true delight. A delicious 3 ingredient, wonderfully refreshing drink. It is perfect for / with breakfast but the coconut milk adds the requisite smooth and creamy note for this to be a true treat at any time of the day.
I’m sure you could use tinned pineapple chunks for this and of course if you prefer use fresh pineapple. Frozen pineapple make this very quick, easy and pretty reasonable in price.
The coconut milk is not the tinned rich and creamy stuff but rather the cartons of milk you buy as a dairy alternative. As such this is fresh, light and less hefty in calories.
A final thought on ingredients: if you use a nice ripe banana it will bring a little more sweetness to the party, which is welcome here. I’m not talking about the kind of brown spotted banana you would throw in a banana loaf, just one that is nice and yellow with no tinge of green left.
Super Healthy Pina Colada Smoothie
Makes 4 medium sized glasses
- About 250g frozen pineapple chunks
- One large ripe banana
- About 150ml of coconut milk (you may add more once you’ve blended)
- If you have time take the pineapple out of the freezer for 10 minutes before you start. This will make it easier for your blender to deliver a smooth smoothie.
- Just put everything into a blender and blitz until smooth.
- If it seems too thick add more coconut milk.
- Slurp and enjoy.