I was in the bakery section of the supermarket yesterday and was feeling drastically underwhelmed by the rows and rows of white loaves with slightly different names: bloomers, farmhouse loaves, white sliced, batard etc etc. These are all very nice but none of them were calling ‘eat me, I’ll be your perfect lunch today’.
I was about to move on when I spotted a brown sourdough loaf shouting ‘take me’. And I did. From there it all slotted into place: lovely fresh brown loaf needs slithers of pink smoked salmon atop a tangy cream cheese.
When I got home I found a perfectly ripe avocado in the fridge (joy!), a bag of fresh dill and some lettuce (freshly picked from my Mother in Law’s garden). Heaven.
The colours in this sandwich are so delicate and attractive they simply have to be served as open sandwiches.
In every bite you have the tang of the sourdough, the cool cream cheese, the salty salmon, the creamy avo, the crisp lettuce and the grassy freshness of the dill. Get this sandwich in your life. Today.
Smoked Salmon & Avo Open Sandwiches
- 4 – 6 slices of brown or white sourdough bread (depending on appetite)
- Cream cheese (I like full fat)
- 1 small packet of smoked salmon
- 1/2 an avocado, peeled and sliced
- A few sprigs of dill
- Black pepper, to taste
- A squeeze of lemon or lime
- A few lettuce leaves
- First of all spread your bread generously with cream cheese.
- Now gently tear up your smoked salmon and scatter over the bread.
- Arrange the avocado slices next.
- Scatter over the dill and add a modest grinding of black pepper.
- Spritz over a little lemon or lime juice and artfully toss in a couple of leaves to complete this beautifully delicious tableau.