Essentially this is a 3 ingredient, almost instant, pate. That’s right this is basically smoked mackerel, lemon and cream cheese.
It’s perfect in this it’s simplest form but I do like to tinker with my recipes, so I’ve come up with a few variations over the years.
I’m going to share my favourites with you. You’re welcome. But I say go a little off-piste, experiment and have fun making this your own.
Simple Mackerel Pate Recipe
Serves 4 – 6, depending on appetite
- 1 packet of smoked mackerel
- A couple of tablespoons of cream cheese (I use full fat)
- Juice and zest of 1/2 a lemon
Extras you might like to try, although I wouldn’t recommend adding all of them at the same time…
- Jalapenos (from a jar) chopped
- Mild fresh red chilli chopped
- Finely chopped chives
- Chopped parsley
- Finely chopped red onion or spring onion
- Loads of freshly ground black pepper
- First of all remove the skin from the mackerel and any larger bones.
- Now put all of your ingredients into a bowl and mash. Add more cream cheese if it isn’t creamy enough for you. And voila, you’ve made mackerel pate.
- Fresh baguette (buy par-baked and you can enjoy it still warm from the oven)
- Wholemeal toast triangles
- Celery sticks
- Apple slices (I love apple with smoked fish)
- Or just slather it into a sandwich and pile with salad leaves