My sister and I used to make club sandwiches in the Summer holidays when were kids and thought they were the height of sophistication. I suspect the real reason we loved them so much was because they are made with not 2 but 3 slices of bread and we could cram more fillings in.
I made them with my kids the other day and they said they were the best sandwiches they’d ever had. I love the crunch from the outer slices of toasted bread and the hit of flavours you get from 2 layers of your favourite fillings.
This is more of a guide than a recipe as you can put any filling in these that you love and use any kind of bread. Enjoy my sophisticated friends.
Fantastic Club Sandwiches
- 3 slices of quite thickly sliced bread
- Cooked chicken breast
- Mayonnaise (or cream cheese if you don’t like mayo)
- A few cherry tomatoes, thickly sliced
- Garlic sauce or mayo (I just mixed half a crushed garlic clove into a couple of tablespoons of yoghurt and added a bit of salt)
- Thickly sliced cheddar
- A couple of lettuce leaves
- Toast 2 of your bread slices so that they are golden and let them cool a little.
- Now let’s start construction: spread one slice of toast with mayo and pile on the chicken and tomatoes.
- Place the untoasted bread on top then spread that with garlic mayo or just normal mayo, add the cheese and lettuce. Spread the last piece of toast with chutney and place it chutney side down on the sandwich.
- Press down firmly then slice diagonally into 2 big, delicious triangles.