Simple Veggie Biryani
The best thing about cooking a biryani is that you can pop it in the oven and then tootle off and do something interesting while it cooks to perfection. This dish has the added bonus of being cooked in one tray so there’s less washing up.
I tend to use whatever veg I happen to have in the fridge but this version with cauliflower and carrots is one of my favourite combos. My second fave is broccoli and sweet potato (just replace the same quantities of cauli and carrots for broccoli and sweet potatoes).
Serves 4 hungry people
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 cauliflower, florets chopped or broken into small florets
- 200g carrots, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
- 800ml of hot stock
- 1 tablespoon of good curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of black onion seeds
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 250g basmati rice
- Preheat your oven to 180 C . Soak your rice in cold water and leave while you get on with the veg chopping.
- Once the oven has reached the right temperature, pour the oil into an oven proof dish and pop it in the oven for a couple minutes to heat through. Then add all of the vegetables to the oven proof dish, stirring to coat them in the hot oil. Return to the oven for 15 minutes until the vegetables are beginning to brown.
- While the veg is roasting, stir together the hot stock, curry powder, black onion seeds and cumin seeds.
- Drain and rinse the soaked rice, then, once the veg has had its 15 minutes in the oven, take the roasting tin out of the oven and mix the rice through the vegetables. Pour over the hot stock, cover the dish tightly with foil and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes until the rice is nice and tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Have a taste, if you think it needs it add salt and pepper.