We needed breakfast in a hurry this morning so a quick whirl around the kitchen led me to this wholesome yet speedy porridge. It’s basically oats, milk, frozen raspberries and peanut butter. You could finish it off with honey or raspberry jam if you like a little more sweetness.
Of course you could use fresh berries, I just didn’t have any. And don’t feel it has to raspberries, that just happened to be what I had in the freezer.
And finally, don’t be constrained by my measurements. I never weigh out my porridge ingredients. I simply use a small cup to ‘measure’ the oats and pour over enough milk to cover the oats. As the porridge simmers away I often add more milk, if I’m in the mood for a runnier porridge.
Serves 2, generously
- About 100g porridge oats
- About 200ml milk of your choice (I used coconut milk)
- 2 handfuls of frozen raspberries
- 1 dessert spoon of crunchy peanut butter
- Pop the oats, milk and berries in a pan and bring to a simmer.
- Now that the porridge is warm you can stir in the peanut butter.
- Keep simmering away and stirring every now and again until it has reached the consistency that you love. Remember you can adjust the texture by adding more milk at any time.
- Serve immediately. If you’re going for the sweeter option, drizzle over honey or add a dollop of jam.