This is lighter than the average coconut soup as it is largely a stock base, but the coconut gives it just enough richness to make this velvety and luxuriously delicious.
If you’re looking for a simple recipe full of goodness then this is the dish for you. Both ginger and beetroot are packed with healthy stuff. So we can get on and enjoy the divine flavours of this soup while they work hard to keep our liver in tip top condition, strengthen our heart and deliver a generous helping of antioxidants.
All you need for this soup is an onion, some beetroot, ginger, stock and coconut milk. Just 5 ingredients yet it tastes heavenly.
You can have this on the table in less than half an hour. Obviously the smaller you chop your beetroot the quicker it will cook through. If you chop into fairly small chunks the veg will be ready in about 20 minutes.
This is really simple to cook up but if your’re short on time you can literally ignore the recipe and chuck all of the ingredients in the pan, simmer until the veg is tender then blend. Honestly it still tastes amazing.
vibrant beetroot, ginger & coconut soup
Serves 5 -6 people
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 800g of beetroot, scrubbed clean, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 30g ginger, roughly chopped
- 2 chicken or veg stock cubes
- 1 400ml can of coconut milk
- In your soup pan heat a tablespoon of oil and fry your onion and ginger over a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add your chopped beetroot, stir around and continue to gently fry for a few minutes.
- Now pour over 1 litre of just boiled water and crumble in your stock cubes, stir well and pop a lid on the pan. Simmer for 20 – 30 minutes or until the beetroot is tender.
- At this point pour in the coconut milk and give everything a good old stir. Let your soup simmer for a final 5 minutes.
- You can now turn off the heat and whizz your soup to velvet smooth perfection.